Six are dead and dozens more injured after a 25-vehicle pileup on Interstate 10 near Lordsburg, New Mexico. A dust storm kicked up Monday evening reducing visibility, which led to the pileup. The crash included a mix of commercial vehicles, passenger vehicles, and motorcycles.Five people died at the scene, and one died later at the hospital. The deceased are:
- Mr. Jose Manuel Clemente (77) of El Paso, TX.
- Mrs. Maurella Clemente Munoz (38) of El Paso, TX.
- Mr. Jose Elias Caraveo-Serrano (30) of Phoenix, AZ.
- Mrs. Susana Carevo (29) of Phoenix, AZ.
- Ms. Julissa Carevo (9 mo.) of Phoenix, AZ.
- Mrs. Josefina Silva (47) of Escondido, CA.
Others were transported to Mombres Memorial Hospital as well as the Gila Regional Medical Center. High winds have caused similar dust storms in the past, and even similar crashes. In May of 2014, a dust storm kicked up in the same area and caused an eight vehicle pileup, including three passenger vehicles, an RV, and three 18-wheelers. A massive fire erupted. The crash killed seven people, including our client. We were able to show that the three semi-truck drivers failed to lower their speed in the bad weather conditions, and that contributed to the crash.